[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 104: Multiple Discrete Networks forproposal 103

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 17:35:53 EST 2009

William Herrin wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 3:09 PM,  <michael.dillon at bt.com> wrote:
>
>> Even though I prefer succint proposals, I would rather see a proposal
>> with additional clauses which can be neatly cut off if they do not have
>> support, than to muddy the waters the way that this one does.
>>

> Hi Michael,
>
> Thanks for the feedback. I split them into separate proposals because
> I believe that Multiple Discrete Networks raises functionally
> different issues from proposal 103. Should someone propose an elegant
> way to unify the two, I'll read it with interest.

I'm not sure how elegant it'll be, but I suspect that if we move
proposal 103 forward, the AC will indeed merge 104 into it before either
of them become draft policy.

> I have no opinion on the merits of incorporating the final version of
> 104 into the final version of 103 and will follow the AC's guidance on
> the matter.

My own personal opinion is that 103+104 is better than 103 alone, to the
same degree that current policy + MDN is better than current policy alone.

>> This proposal wants us to discuss proposed changes to a proposal which
>> is not yet policy.
>>

> My understanding is that IPv6 Multiple Discrete Networks (proposal
> 2009-5) is very likely to become policy. Proposal 104 is offered in
> anticipation of that outcome. If for some reason 2009-5 does not
> become policy, 104 will obviously be moot in its entirety.

I'm not the one who makes official announcements, but in the interests
of informing the discussion, it's worth noting that at Thursday's
meeting, the AC approved a motion that "The ARIN Advisory Council, based
on comments from stakeholders expressed either at the ARIN XXIV Public
Policy Meeting, or on the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List, having
reviewed the comments collected during the Last Call period, and noting
that the Policy Development Process has been followed, supports Draft
Policy 2009-5: IPv6 Multiple Discrete Networks and recommends the ARIN
Board of Trustees adopt it."

-Scott