[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 103: Change IPv6 Allocation Process

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Nov 17 18:44:17 EST 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 6:10 PM, Scott Leibrand <scottleibrand at gmail.com> wrote:
> You've got a couple months, I think, but we won't be able to ignore the
> issue at the spring meeting.  At Dearborn there was near unanimous support
> in the room for the MDN draft policy 2009-5, so the AC voted to move it to
> last call, which completed last week.  It will be on the agenda at our AC
> call this week, when I expect we'll recommend it to the Board for adoption.
>  Then the Board will need to ratify it, and ARIN staff will need to
> implement it.

Hi Scott,

Nuts. Well, if I have to, I have to. How about this as a starting
point for discussion?

6.5.9.3 Excepting Multiple Discrete Network registrations, ARIN shall
register no more than one address block of each prefix-length for any
single organization.

6.5.9.8 ARIN shall allocate IPv6 address blocks to an organization's
second and subsequent discrete networks (section 6.11) in exactly and
only the following prefix lengths: /40, /32. ARIN shall manage the
allocation pools such that the pool identity serves to classify
whether or not the allocation is for a second or subsequent discrete
network.

I dropped the lower end of the range because I think for now we should
discourage folks from running lots of tiny networks. I dropped /24
because I expect /24 to be modestly disaggregable and want to see if
it turns out that way before including it for MDN's. So, the
single/multi homed classification vector gains a third stop: MDN.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004