[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 103: Change IPv6 Allocation Process

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 18:10:24 EST 2009

William Herrin wrote:

>> Another consideration is Multiple Discrete Networks.
>>

> Hi Scott,
>
> If I can duck the issue for now, I'd like to see that addressed in a
> later policy. I don't see Multiple Discrete Networks in current IPv6
> policy. I only see it under NRPM 4.5.

You've got a couple months, I think, but we won't be able to ignore the
issue at the spring meeting.  At Dearborn there was near unanimous
support in the room for the MDN draft policy 2009-5, so the AC voted to
move it to last call, which completed last week.  It will be on the
agenda at our AC call this week, when I expect we'll recommend it to the
Board for adoption.  Then the Board will need to ratify it, and ARIN
staff will need to implement it.

> The proposal helps a little by allowing orgs to get several distinct
> blocks. In theory that will at least allow folks with a small number
> of discrete networks to get started. But more work will probably be
> needed to assess what's fair and whether it should be treated as a
> third measurement vector so that ISPs can filter differently.

Taking off my AC hat and putting on the hat of first-hand experience as
a user of the MDN policy:

The routing model of proposal 103 seems to be optimized for a single
organization with a single contiguous network (AS).  If an organization
runs multiple discrete networks (with multiple different ASNs), then the
policy either needs to treat each network as a separate entity for
purposes of allocating routable blocks, or we need to explicitly decide
that we would prefer an org with MDNs to get a single allocation and
split it up amongst the MDNs.  That, of course, means that any filtering
assumptions we make must take that into account, and we can't rely as
reliably on easy filtering policies.  We already have that problem in
IPv6 today with /32s being universally accepted, but more-specific
deaggregates currently being filtered (along with PI /48s) by some networks.

-Scott