[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 103: Change IPv6 Allocation Process

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Mon Nov 16 18:30:41 EST 2009

    Terry> Warren

    Terry> My answer would be "we didn't have enough software types in
    Terry> the room during the discussions on creating v6" to point out
    Terry> the implications of that fact.

    Terry> Although a long term v6 advocate, I did not fully realize
    Terry> what we had done to ourselves till I did a Master's project
    Terry> paper on v6 migration a few years ago.  After doing that, I

v6 is completely upward compatible with v4. Watch this:

marajade-[~] mcr 10001 %telnet -6 ::ffff:209.87.252.178
Trying ::ffff:209.87.252.178...
Connected to ::ffff:209.87.252.178.
Escape character is '^]'.

tcp6       0      0 209.87.252.196:43185    209.87.252.178:23       ESTABLISHED

It works fine.
It uses v4 at the network layer, but the application thinks it has v6.

What we did not do was make IPv4 compatible with v6, or any other new
protocol.  No v7, or any other thing would have accomplished that.

] mcr at sandelman.ottawa.on.ca http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
	               then sign the petition.