[arin-ppml] [arin-announce] [Fwd: Policy Proposal 103: Change IPv6 Allocation Process]

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Nov 10 11:47:35 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 4:08 PM, Seth Mattinen <sethm at rollernet.us> wrote:
> Hallelujah, I dislike TE with a passion.
>
> Overall I like this policy. I agree that the utilization concept should
> be abandoned for IPv6 and there's nothing inherently wrong with classful
> addressing other than there simply wasn't enough space to go around
> under IPv4.

Hi Seth,

Thanks. :)

>> The above notwithstanding, it may be advisable to discount /40s and
>> /32s to a much lower price during IPv6's general deployment process in
>> order to encourage adoption. Folks who already hold /31's should
>> probably also get a big break on the $20k fee for a good long while,
>> perhaps until the first time they request an additional block without
>> offering a plan to return the legacy addresses.
>
> To encourage adoption it should be as cheap as possible for the early
> adopters. How would this integrate with IPv4 fees? Or would we pay
> totally separate IPv4 and IPv6 fees?

I don't know. The proposal offers some suggestions and guidance about
fees but fees are not properly the domain of a policy proposal. I'm
reluctant to make a more specific recommendation than I already have
lest the folks who *are* responsible for setting ARIN fees decide I
should take a flying leap.

> I have a question: is there any reason to trade an existing /32 for one
> under this policy?

The existing /32 shares a pool with /31's and /30's which are, as a
result, disaggregable. I doubt anyone will ever filter that pool,
it'll be just like the IPv4 swamp, but you never know.

On the other hand, there's a respectable chance that Verizon will
stick to their guns about not routing /48's that share a pool with
/40's and /44's. Should they decide that a multihomed /48 *is*
routeable when the absence of TE and single-homers is guaranteed,
registrants in the old /48 pool may well want to trade up.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004