[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 102: Reduce and Simplify IPv4 Initial Allocations

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Nov 6 09:34:03 EST 2009

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 1:46 PM, Member Services <info at arin.net> wrote:
> Policy Proposal 102: Reduce and Simplify IPv4 Initial Allocations

Hi folks,

Some comments:

1. The proposal neither reduces nor simplifies IPv4 allocations.
Arguably it improves them but you should consider finding a better
title.

2. A replacement allocation is no longer an initial allocation.
Initial means "first" not "only one still held."

> 4.2.2.1. Use of /24
>
> The efficient utilization of an entire previously allocated /24 from
> their upstream ISP.

Do you intend the explicit use of a /24 or do you intend the use of
address space which adds up to at least a /24?

> 1) Makes moot whether the requesting ISP is multihomed or not, with
> this policy change all initial ISPs request under the same minimums.

I disagree with offering small PI blocks to entities which are not
multihomed. While any registrants benefit from receiving a PI block,
only multihomed entities do so without creating new overhead cost for
everybody else. I OPPOSE the proposal as written because it fails to
restrict itself to multihomed entities. I would support the proposal
if it restricted itself to multihomed registrants.

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 5:46 PM, Seth Mattinen <sethm at rollernet.us> wrote:
>> 4.2.2.5. Replacement initial allocation
>
> OPPOSE. A small org might expect to grow and can be punished multiple
> times (until they get a /20) by forced renumbering. An end-site office
> building, sure, force them to renumber, but not an ISP who is assigning
> address blocks to downstream orgs and customers.

Hi Seth,

Would you clarify: do you mean that you oppose the proposal solely
because it *doesn't go far enough* loosening the rules on IPv4
allocation?

As I read the proposal, nothing there would act to restrict
allocations that ARIN or others may presently make. Have I missed
something?

I would respectfully suggest that the looming end of the IANA free
pool makes this a particularly inopportune time to "hold out for
something better."

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004