[arin-ppml] [arin-announce] Policy Proposal: Open Access To IPv6

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Fri May 29 18:12:18 EDT 2009

Hi Stacy,

On 29/05/2009 3:01, "Stacy Hughes" <ipgoddess.arin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
> Chuck precisely makes one of my points here.
> When I voted against this concept last time around, I felt just like Ted.
>  Like, you're not a real ISP or player if you don't have 200 customers.
> But there are real ISPs that are small that deserve the minimum allocation of
> IPv6 just as much as the 200+ers.

I suspect that one problem we have is that there is such a huge gap between
the size of the standard direct assignment to an end user and the standard
allocation to an ISP.

Matthew Kaufman makes a good point when he says that "Really there shouldn't
even *be* a distinction". In a needs based system, perhaps what is needed is
a distribution process that doesn't distinguish based on the network
operator's business type but on the size of the network they will operate.

If the scale didn't jump from /48(ish) -> /32(ish) we could focus on
distributing address space based on documented need rather than try and find
a form of words that describes ISPs but doesn't give a /32 to everyone.

Regards,

Leo Vegoda