[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Open Access To IPv6

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Fri May 29 12:56:53 EDT 2009

Stacy Hughes wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
> Before we really get started on this policy proposal, I must give credit
> where credit is due.
> Jordi Palet Martinez brought this topic to the table 3 years ago, and it
> got shot down.  I myself, in my small IPv4-centric mind, thought it
> impossible that an IPv6 only organization could exist.  Operations and
> innovation have shown me the error of our thinking.
> To quote myself from a different list:
> IPv6 is a new paradigm we are supposed to be doing our best to
> encourage.  As it stands, those community guys can't get it, the
> Caribbean guys can't get it, and basically anyone trying to do anything
> vanguard can't get it either.  (I hear the ULA objections here, even
> when they're nascent).
>
> We can be afraid of what IPv6 might do to the routing table, or we can
> embrace what IPv6 can and will do for the Internet.
> I choose the latter and support this proposal.

I'm not talking about the weird-ass "everything goes into an aggregate
of your upstream and the global table only has 100 routes in it ever"
thing. I'm referring to the actual practice of multihoming and
default-free routing.

I'm of two minds on these kind of issues: I think one should advertise
the prefix as given, not make something up because it makes your routes
look more better good. I also understand that large networks with
multiple sites may have a /32 and split it across their sites. At the
same time, I use DRAM-based border routers so it won't affect me
personally because I know there are enough of people who don't care.

I planned ahead for IPv6 because I knew hardware platforms available at
the time would be insufficient for future IPv6 use. Others may have
listed to a sales person, or not originally planned for IPv6, see they
should have IPv6 now, but find their $500k equipment they can't afford
to replace for 5 years isn't good enough because of dumb routing policies.

I don't have any real numbers, but it feels counterproductive to
potentially shut people out of IPv6 adoption.

~Seth