[arin-ppml] general vendor comment

George, Wes E [NTK] Wesley.E.George at sprint.com
Thu May 7 14:20:59 EDT 2009

I will say this... (echoing the apologies if this isn't the appropriate forum)

It needs to go beyond just asking if there's a roadmap or a plan to support IPv6. While there are vendors that don't have one yet, there are plenty that do.
IPv6 has been an RFP checkbox for a long time now, so lots of companies have a "story to tell" when asked. It mostly translates to "eventually..."

At this point, it has to ratchet up a bit to underscore the urgency. The hope is that people are starting to get a feel for how long it will be before they have the ability/need to roll out IPv6 in their production environment. That timeline needs to be communicated to your vendors, with the expectation that if they aren't working to meet your required timeline, future contract renewals and new business would be in jeopardy. You want to keep complaining that your upstream doesn't support IPv6? This is a way to fix it.

Thanks,
Wes George