[arin-ppml] general vendor comment

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Thu May 7 13:58:50 EDT 2009

First I apologize to the list in advance if this is not an appropriate place
for this comment.

I am making a point of ending any conversation with a vendor with the
question "What is your roadmap for IPv6.  Future purchase and renewal
decisions will be affected.".  Almost invariably the answer is "Gee, you are
the first person that has asked.  We don't have a roadmap.  I will forward
this on to our development team and when there is a need I am sure we will
pursue it."

I would suggest to everyone that we all start requesting IPv6 information
from our vendors, and submit feature requests when appropriate.  Hardware
and software vendors are not going to spend money to address this issue
until they see a widespread business case to do so.

Kevin