[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-1: Transfer Policy - Revised andforwarded to the Board

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Wed May 6 14:50:19 EDT 2009

In a message written on Wed, May 06, 2009 at 02:14:29PM -0400, William Herrin wrote:
> Verizon is hoarding addresses. They requested and acquired millions of

Several folks have made the same mistaken in recent messages, so
this is not to single out William...

Please refrain from referring to companies by name when discussing
policy.  Generally it's not necessary, generic terms like "a wireless
company", "a DSL company", or "a cable company" work just fine to
set a frame of reference.

Using the names is problematic for two reasons; first we don't want
policies that single out particular companies we want policies that
work for all players.  Second, most of the time folks generally
don't have internal knowledge of these companies when they use them
by name, and thus are making assumptions that are often not true.
At best this leads to confusion, at worst, outright anger from those
on the other side of the fence.

If you do want to make a specific claim of wrong-doing, then using
the mailing list is absolutely the wrong way to report it, use the
form at https://www.arin.net/resources/fraud/index.html.

We're not all perfect, I have slipped up on this more than a few times
myself.  It's best for everyone if we try hard to stay generic.