[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-1: Transfer Policy - Revised andforwarded to the Board

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed May 6 14:14:29 EDT 2009

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 6:36 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at ipinc.net> wrote:
> I have to cry foul with this.  There's been implications
> of hoarding on this list and in the last meeting but I have only
> seen a single allegation posted on this list of an illigitimate
> IPv4 holding, and that was a year ago.  (and it wasn't a hoarding
> situation)

Ted,

When a hurricane is coming and you buy all the flashlights at your
local store, you're hoarding. There was nothing illegitimate about
your purchase. You paid full price. You didn't steal anything. You may
even use them all. But you're still hoarding.

Verizon is hoarding addresses. They requested and acquired millions of
addresses for use on cell phones in their wireless arm. The requests
were perfectly legitimate. Every address matches an actual physical
device and they're not doubling up.

Nevertheless, they're hoarding addresses. The way they use IP
addresses on the cell phones, they'd have been A-OK with RFC1918
addresses plus a few public IPs for the NAT gateways. They'll surely
discover the magic of NAT... in about 4 years when they need those IP
addresses somewhere else in the company.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004