[arin-ppml] clarification of Board actions Feb 2 and Mar 18, 2009

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Mar 30 14:42:52 EDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 2:04 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:
> So you are claiming that a policy that had the word "emergency" in the title
> represented no agreement that anything approximating an emergency was involved.

Milton,

I claim that under the published PDP the mere presence of the word
"emergency" in the title neither requested nor required any action of
the BoT other than what they would have done if the word had not been
present.

I also claim that the consensus support for 2008-6 was for the
proposal in total, not for any particular part of it severed from the
rest.

> apparently all those others, like you, failed to make this clear in the discussion of the policy

IIRC, I did complain about the use of the word "emergency" in the
title. Later, after the final revision, I didn't see the need to argue
over semantics: the word was a functional no-op and it's presence
helped some portion of the community accept the proposal.

But let's not get sidelined. Whether the board needed to declare an
emergency to activate 2008-6 is the least of the issues facing us.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004