[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-1: Is there an Emergency?

Cort Buffington cort at kanren.net
Mon Mar 30 09:34:39 EDT 2009

On Mar 30, 2009, at 1:22 AM, Seth Mattinen wrote:

> David Farmer wrote:
>>
>> In my opinion the crux of the emergency is IPv4 exhaustion
>> combined with the lack of IPv6 adoption, which means we are
>> going to hit the proverbial wall when it comes to functional IP
>> address availability.  But when does this become an
>> emergency?
>
> Lack of interest in entities adopting IPv6 is not ARIN's emergency.
> It's
> a business case issue, as in many orgs see no business case for
> putting
> forth the effort to deploy IPv6 in their networks, not an "emergency".
> Find a way to motivate these players to perform a forklift upgrade
> (when
> they see no sense in doing so) and you've won the prize.
> ~Seth

This is the point I would make from all of this: If they'd been paying
attention to more than profit for the next quarter, a forklift
wouldn't be required, and this (will | would) not have become an
emergency. The motivation is strategic vision beyond the earnings for
next quarter or even fiscal year... Of course the state of our entire
economy only emphasizes how much of this we are not doing as a society.

Emergency? I think so. But I don't think that the majority of the
networking community will choose to deal with this until it reaches
crisis state. By the time we reach crisis, the problem will be too big
to worry about pointing fingers. As usual in the US, those who were
responsible enough to deal with it before it became and emergency will
see no benefit since there will be some kind of either bailout, or
social acceptance of the crisis and the half-baked solutions that will
come with waiting until two weeks past the very last date to
reasonable address the issue.

--
Cort Buffington
Executive Director