[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-1: Is there an Emergency?

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Mon Mar 30 02:38:19 EDT 2009

On 29 Mar 2009 Seth Mattinen wrote:

> David Farmer wrote:
> > I would like to motivate a discussion of the question "Is there
> > an Emergency?"
> >
> > I have heard several people express the opinion that they don't
> > see an emergency.  I would like to respectfully disagree with
> > that opinion.
> >
> > In my opinion the crux of the emergency is IPv4 exhaustion
> > combined with the lack of IPv6 adoption, which means we are
> > going to hit the proverbial wall when it comes to functional IP
> > address availability.  But when does this become an
> > emergency?
>

> Lack of interest in entities adopting IPv6 is not ARIN's emergency. It's
> a business case issue, as in many orgs see no business case for putting
> forth the effort to deploy IPv6 in their networks, not an "emergency".
> Find a way to motivate these players to perform a forklift upgrade (when
> they see no sense in doing so) and you've won the prize.

To be clear, I agree lack of IPv6 adoption itself isn't an
emergency, but if you combine it with IPv4 exhaustion it is.

Further, IPv4 exhaustion itself isn't an emergency either, if
there were significant IPv6 adoption before IPv4 exhaustion
that would be fine.

Put the two together and in my book you have an emergency,
and that emergency is the lack of availability of useful IP
addresses.  IPv4 will not be easily available, and IPv6 will not
be very useful substitute.  That is an emergency.

=======
David Farmer				     Email:
farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
Networking & Telecomunication Services
University of Minnesota			     Phone:	612-626-
0815
2218 University Ave SE			     Cell:
612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029		     FAX:	612-626-
1818