[arin-ppml] How hard is it to transition to IPv6?

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Fri Mar 27 16:59:28 EDT 2009

> Google has shown with the source code and programmers you can
> fix the software in ~18 months.  That's good news, isn't it?
> If we can all drive home the requirements to the vendors it
> seems like there is plenty of time to get stuff fixed and
> deployed before it is an issue.

Bingo!

People are wasting their breath complaining here. They should be beating
down their vendors doors to fix the IPv6 problem, and if it is equipment
bought within the last couple of years and the vendors down't have it
high enough priority with delivery promised in the next 18 months, then
they should immediately take those vendors to court and sue for damages.
Get back all the money you paid, any costs of switching out the crap
equipment for another brand that can (or will) handle IPv6, plus
damages.

Lots of companies have been negligent, both hardware/software vendors
and network operators. Of course there is still enough time to recover
from these mistakes if a company makes it a priority and sets some firm
internal targets, but if one of your suppliers is not willing to make
firm promisies, then take them to court and tear them to shreds now
before they go bankrupt. Fact is that when IPv6 takes off it will be a
flurry of activity and a lot of that will be companies moving away from
suppliers who do not have enough IPv6 support. That will drive some
companies into bankruptcy. That's just the way the economy works and in
my personal opinion it is better for the economy to drive those
companies into bankruptcy sooner rather than later.

The time has come for everyone to stop denial and admit that
circumstances are forcing us to deploy IPv6 regardless of whether it has
the kind of business case that we prefer. If senior management is not
past the denial stage and into the action stage then they are
incompetent. Enough network operators have already moved into the action
stage as well as companies like Google. It is clear that IPv6 deployment
is the way forward out of this addressing mess.

--Michael Dillon