[arin-ppml] How hard is it to transition to IPv6?

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri Mar 27 14:21:30 EDT 2009

In a message written on Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 11:04:20AM -0700, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
> Google has the advantage that they have the source code to the
> applications and developers on staff to modify that code.
>
> This is not the case for most of the world's users of computers and/or
> embedded devices. They are looking at whether or not an upgrade is
> available, and if not whether or not a new program or device is
> available that does what their existing things do. In some cases a
> solution is not currently available at any price.

If you believe http://inetcore.com/project/ipv4ec/index_en.html
then we have a little over 2 years before IANA exhaustion, perhaps
another six months to RIR exhaustion, and then 6 months to ISP
exhaustion.  So we're looking at a 2.5-3 year window right now.

Google has shown with the source code and programmers you can fix
the software in ~18 months.  That's good news, isn't it?  If we can
all drive home the requirements to the vendors it seems like there
is plenty of time to get stuff fixed and deployed before it is an
issue.