[arin-ppml] DraftPolicy 2009-1: TransferPolicy (UsingtheEmergencyPDP)

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Thu Mar 26 18:48:20 EDT 2009

Yes.  Tunneling is and has always been a least-cost solution.

If they care that much about reliability they won't tunnel - they
will just get a T1 or other circuit to an ISP that will assign
them an IPv4 subnet.

Even the old "employee working from home on a VPN" scenario is
a least-cost solution.  For example, one of our customers has
a T1 to us where we have that circuit going to a private DSL
bridge, and from that bridge, DSL lines to all their key employees
locations.  Another customer runs a DSL line to their private DSL
bridge here.

When those employees sitting in their homes surf the web,
their traffic goes via DSL to the bridge in our NOC, then
to their company then out their company's
firewall then onward to their employers upstream Internet
feed - which as a matter of fact, isn't us.

You and I are both relying on a 3rd party to even have
this discussion at all - the 3rd party is the ppml list
itself.  And the ppml is relying on other parties to carry
traffic between us.  And those networks are probably
relying on cableline providers, not their own fiber.  And
so on and so on.

Welcome to the Internet!  This is the very ESSENSE of it.

Ted