[arin-ppml] ARIN-PPML Digest, Vol 45, Issue 36

Brent Sweeny sweeny at indiana.edu
Thu Mar 26 12:48:20 EDT 2009

it occurred to me, on reading Ted's note excerpted below, that so identifying
IPv4 blocks that ARIN believes but can't yet prove are abandoned is a
wonderful invitation to hijackers--increasing the likelihood of one thing
you're trying to prevent, while working on another goal of disputable value
which is coattailed to a goal of undisputed value.  I believe it's fine to
clean up WHOIS data, and even trying to scrape up every last dreg of
available v4 space is useful, but it's not going to stem the tide of runout,
nor will the small relief it offers arrive in time.
  Brent Sweeny, Indiana University

Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at ipinc.net> wrote on 25 Mar 2009 17:51:11