[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-1: Transfer Policy (Using theEmergency PDP)

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Wed Mar 25 20:48:58 EDT 2009

In a message written on Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 08:34:03PM -0400, John Curran wrote:
> To be clear, the Board adopted the transfer policy of the *AC*'s
> liking.

You can't have it both ways John.

If you adopted the policy of the AC's liking there would be no 2009-1.
You "adopted it" for all of 60 seconds, long enough to completely alter
it into 2009-1 under your emergency authority.

It is bait-and-switch for the Board to say it is adopting the policy the
community supported while dramatically altering it via emergency powers.

> Your objection appears to be that we left it to the AC of three
> year's hence to decide if it should be retired at that point in
> time.

That's not what the community wanted, and so yes, I object on the face
of it.

However, the Board neither posted with the policy, nor with any of
the queries since why emergency action was required a mere 30 days
prior to a face to face meeting.  The Board has also not provided any
explanation why this objection couldn't have been raised prior to this
point.  Was the emergency the Board's own making because they failed to
raise this issue in a timely fashion?