[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 93: Predicable IPv4 Run Out b Prefix Size - Revised

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Mon Jun 22 15:24:49 EDT 2009

Martin Hannigan wrote:

>> This proposal is better than nothing and might win some consensus this time
>> around.
>>

> I think that's unlikely myself.

Rather sad commentary, since the only thing shining through is the
attitude "if I cant have it no one can".
> We could instead simply raise the minimum allocation unit and raise
> the bar of entry _for PI_, eliminate end user allocations altogether,
> and start pushing people towards PA.
>
> Wouldn't that equalize the market for new entrants?

No, since there isnt any more space available after 5 to 10 of the 80
large organizations per year get their requests fulfilled.

Making it easier (or harder) to get requests approved when there is no
space to fulfill them is silly and pointless.

> They should be
> able to operate an ISP as long as they can get numbers. Period.

Exactly, and we should ensure that they can continue to do so.
> Best,
>
> Martin

Regards,

Joe