[arin-ppml] large vs small?

Lee Howard spiffnolee at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 11 09:26:44 EDT 2009

Jo Rhett said (in a differently-names thread):
> Can you name a large service provider in the ARIN region who doesn't have miles
> and miles (on any yardstick of your choice) of extra lenient space they are
> paying nothing for?

I can't "name" them, because I'd be disclosing information that is non-public and
potentially material.
I know of two largish providers who have legacy Class A's.  I know of one large
provider who hasn't requested space in a while because they've been able to
reclaim internally.  I know of several large providers who have used RFC1918
several times over internally, to keep from using public space.

I don't know of anyone with whom ARIN is "extra lenient."

I don't understand why people at small ISPs think people at large ISPs are
trying to set anticompetitive policies.   I can think of cases where large ISP
folks have said, "Such-and-such kind of practice would break my network,"
but I can't think of any case where large ISPs have unduly influenced the
process.

> That the people who have gotten the most for free are
> afraid that they might lose some of that advantage isn't surprising.

I don't see any advantage.  ARIN will be unable to fill requests for /13s
before they're unable to fill requests for /20s.   I think every large ISP has
a plan for IPv6, but of course they wouldn't disclose those plans.

> And let's be honest, they might at most lose some miniscule amount of their
> advantage.  They certainly won't lose even 1/100th of their advantage, and
> certainly never even come close to a level playing field.  What do they really
> have to lose?   And why do you express this as a bad thing?

In the past, I've posted analyses of who posts to PPML, by company size.
In the past 24 hours there have been many posts--but very very few from
large ISP employees.  We've talked about who participates at meetings, and
representation on the Board and AC.  I've looked and looked for evidence
that the process is prejudiced toward large ISPs, and I can't find it.  Please
support your assertion that large ISPs have an advantage.

Lee