[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Customer Confidentiality

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Wed Jun 10 15:18:50 EDT 2009

> In the IPv6 world, we've decided that anyone with a /56 and
> larger needs to be in whois.  That's potentially 2^72 computers.

Wrong! That is a single residential address. The number of computers
is unknown and irrelevant and will certainly be a lot less than
the number you quote, even if you take into account that there
could be one or more CPUs at each control point, e.g. lightswitch,
in the home.

However, I see no reason why every /56, i.e. every private
residence, needs to be in the whois directory.

--Michael Dillon