[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Customer Confidentiality

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Wed Jun 10 15:05:43 EDT 2009

Leo Bicknell wrote:

[...]

> In the IPv6 world, we've decided that anyone with a /56 and larger
> needs to be in whois.  That's potentially 2^72 computers.

That's not what the policy says. It actually says:

   6.5.4.4. Registration of Assignments

   All /56 and larger assignments to end sites are required to be
   registered either by the LIR or its subordinate ISPs in such a
   way that the RIR/NIR can properly evaluate the HD-Ratio when
   a subsequent allocation becomes necessary.

It makes no mention of whois and does not specify a method, just that
ARIN needs to be able to evaluate your request for more addresses. In
most cases that should mean that you keep a good internal record
of the way you have assigned IPv6 prefixes to your customers.

Effectively, the policy in now place says that for IPv6, whois
registration is only for ISPs or anyone with a direct assignment from
ARIN. ISPs may choose to register their customers' address
assignments in ARIN's whois server but are not required to do so.

Regards,

Leo Vegoda