[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Customer Confidentiality

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Wed Jun 10 15:12:26 EDT 2009

> Now, your trying to do the exact same thing - your trying to
> push operational details of filing SWIPS into the policy
> manual. This is extreme hypocrisy on your part.

Nope.

I am ignoring SWIPS, just stating what I think the policy
should cover. Implementation is a separate issue. One way
to implement would be to do away with SWIPs entirely, and
provide a different mechanism for ISPs to update the much
smaller, and more accurate and more useful whois directory.

> The policy should merely state the ISP has the option of not
> publishing street and e-mail contact info if they choose, PERIOD.
> Meaning, privacy is OPTIONAL.

I prefer to take a more global view than just focusing on
specific nits in the current policy language. My approach would
be to write a whois policy for the 21st century, then comb
through the NRPM looking for clauses that need to be updated,
and then to formally propose the specific deletions, changes
and additions needed to reach the vision.

--Michael Dillon.