[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Customer Confidentiality

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Wed Jun 10 13:04:49 EDT 2009

michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:
>> Unless
>> there's a sizable transitional period or grandfathering, this
>> would be a nightmare for larger networks to accomplish.
>
> You forgot the third option. Instead of the policy stating that
> it is mandatory for ISPs to not publish customer contact info,
> the policy could just say that ISPs do not have to publish
> customer contact info, unless the customer requests it. That
> is still a reasonable policy supporting privacy by default.

This is insanity.  When I proposed my POC cleanup the original draft
specified things like ARIN had to be aware of spamfiltering, etc. and
YOU, Michael, were complaining that this pushed too much directive
into operational details.

Now, your trying to do the exact same thing - your trying to push
operational details of filing SWIPS into the policy manual. This is
extreme hypocrisy on your part.

The policy should merely state the ISP has the option of not
publishing street and e-mail contact info if they choose, PERIOD.
Meaning, privacy is OPTIONAL.

NOTHING EXTRA should be stuffed in there regarding whether or not
a customer is supposed to direct an ISP to opt-in or opt-out.

Ted