[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Customer Confidentiality

Tom Vest tvest at pch.net
Wed Jun 10 14:54:50 EDT 2009

Hi Milton,

At last we agree on something :-)
My point in offering this reference was not to advocate any new
requirements, confusing, deluge-like, or otherwise. Our method for
handling authorization and accountability-related information is
already fully operationalized, is generally well understood by most if
not all stakeholders, and works pretty well. Moreover, the system of
"unified identifiers" that facilitate the management of authorization
and accountability-related records in this industry is identical to,
and shares fate with, the unique identifiers that are the subjects of
the records themselves. I believe that that's an administrative
advantage that we'd all very much like to preserve.

I don't understand how the goal of permitting insurance portability
was rendered (any more) meaninglessness by the fact of additional
paperwork. If health insurance is still not as portable as it might be
under current circumstances, I seriously doubt that HIPAA could be
blamed. To be portable, something must exist first -- but let's not go
down that road here.

Cheers,

TV