[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Customer Confidentiality

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Wed Jun 10 14:14:15 EDT 2009

> However, if the ISP chose as a default
> to list the customer, and the customer contractually agreed
> to this, they would have to opt-out to achieve privacy. Both
> scenarios are legitimate under U.S. law, though Canada may be
> different.

I have no problem with that scenario, if ARIN makes it clear
that ARIN is not forcing the ISP to publish by default.
On balance, I don't think that scenario is needed and I also
think that it could cause more garbage info to be published.
Since I view this proposal partly as a clean up of the
whois directory data, I would prefer to see a policy that
discourages publication of useless contact info.

My definition of a useful contact is one that is ready willing
and able to take action upon notification of an Internet
operational issue, 24 hours per day, 365 days a year.

--Michael Dillon