[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Customer Confidentiality

Jay Hennigan jay at impulse.net
Tue Jun 9 20:07:32 EDT 2009

Owen DeLong wrote:

> The realtor is not connecting you to a global packet switched network.
> To my knowledge, no other private business does that.

Cellular telephone companies do.  And they don't publish their customer
lists.

Note that I said cellular which has been packet-switched since AMPS went
away.  Landline telephone companies also connect you to a global
switched network, which happens to be circuit-switched.  They may or may
not publish some of their customer lists.  Telephone companies are in
the unique position of charging extra for both unlisted numbers and
extra listings.

Telephone companies also allow their customers to hide their source
address from the recipient on a per-line or per-call basis.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net