[arin-ppml] Large hole in IPv6 assignment logic

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Tue Jun 9 13:03:19 EDT 2009

Dave Temkin wrote:
> I went the other route, as suggested by many people, and attempted to
> submit my application as a LIR, given that we run a separate
> transport/transit backbone from our content serving network (two
> separate AS's, one providing transit services to the other).  I was
> told that we don't meet section 6.5.1.4 of the NRPM -
>
> "be an existing, known ISP in the ARIN region or have a plan for
> making at least 200 end-site assignments to other organizations within
> 5 years.", however when pressed as to how 10310 or 15169 meet that
> requirement (specifically 200 end-site assignments to other
> organizations), I got no answer.  The reality of it is that neither
> fit that description - Yahoo and Google provide transit services to
> themselves only, and while they may have 200 end sites, they are
> definitely *not* other organizations.  I do not understand why ARIN
> management would have made exceptions for these two companies (and
> probably many others).

IIRC, the /32s issued to end-user orgs like Yahoo, Google, Cisco, IBM,
etc. are from well before the direct-assignment policy was adopted, and
at that time it was apparently accepted that "really big" end users
could claim to be LIRs.  Now that there is a specific policy for all end
users, though, that hole has been closed and those few prior exceptions
have been grandfathered -- though IMHO they shouldn't be, as the legal
situation is quite different from IPv4 legacy space and moving those
companies into end-user blocks would also eventually put pressure on
certain ISPs that are still choosing to filter at /32 in the /48 block...

Also, keep in mind that the maintenance fees for being an LIR are
significantly higher than for end-user orgs; waiting a few months for
the Multiple Discrete Networks policy may test your patience, but it's
worth it financially.