[arin-ppml] Another possible way forward on 2009-3

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Jun 8 13:10:32 EDT 2009

On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 12:47 AM, Scott Leibrand<scottleibrand at gmail.com> wrote:
> "Each RIR through their respective chosen policies and strategies may
> recover IPv4 address space which is under their administration and designate
> any such space for return to the IANA. Each RIR shall at quarterly intervals
> return any such designated address space to the IANA in aggregated blocks of
> /24 or larger, for inclusion in the recovered IPv4 pool."
>
> Thoughts?

Scott,

I think that a proposal like 2009-3 that would have IANA try to
micromanage little bits of address space here and there in a
post-free-pool world is a genuinely bad idea. We created the regional
registries to avoid that kind of mess in the first place and I'd
respectfully suggest that ICANN's transparency problems and behavior
this past decade on the DNS side of things has validated that choice.

I also think that LACNIC and AfriNIC's principals understood that they
were entering the game late in the day, and that was likely to impact
their region's holdings come depletion. They are, after all, not
stupid. I respect that in serving their region's interests they must
now test the waters to determine how much give there is on the issue.
But 2009-3 ain't it.

I would instead encourage LACNIC to evaluate ARIN's holdings with an
eye for /8's with significant amounts of recoverable address space and
space assigned to registrants in what is now the LACNIC region versus
allocated space actually in use in the ARIN region. If you can
identify additional large blocks of address space that could
reasonably be ceded to your care, I doubt you'll find ARIN
uncooperative.

I realize that won't solve the big-picture issue either, but let's
face the reality check: nothing short of renumbering and a
redistribution of IP address wealth is going to meaningfully change
the IPv4 address distribution iniquity. And that's a non-starter.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004