[arin-ppml] Another possible way forward on 2009-3

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 00:47:33 EDT 2009

While attending the recent AfriNIC and especially LACNIC meetings the
last couple weeks, I was struck by some
the discussions of the Global Policy Proposal for the Allocation of IPv4
Blocks to Regional Internet Registries (our 2009-3).  Those discussions
finally made it clear to me that one of the reasons 2009-3 is such a
difficult policy to get consensus on is that the original policy, as
proposed, is a global policy proposal that has some local policy
aspects, namely that requires each RIR to return reclaimed space.
Ideally, global policies are supposed to maintain a clean separation
from local policies: global policy is supposed to only govern the
relationship between the IANA and the RIRs, and local policy defines
what the RIR can do internally.

As a side effect of the blurring of global and local policy in the
current revision of 2009-3, we (and most of the other RIRs) are having
an interesting debate about exactly which space should be covered by the
policy (such as legacy vs. non-legacy), and some people are
uncomfortable even with a legacy-only requirement.  So, as a result of a
suggestion on the floor at LACNIC, and in an attempt to restore the
proper separation between global and local policy, I drafted the
following text for the 2nd paragraph of section A:

"Each RIR through their respective chosen policies and strategies may
recover IPv4 address space which is under their administration and
designate any such space for return to the IANA. Each RIR shall at
quarterly intervals return any such designated address space to the IANA
in aggregated blocks of /24 or larger, for inclusion in the recovered
IPv4 pool."

Thoughts?

-Scott

P.S.  I also think we need to have a full public policy debate on what
our chosen policies should be to designate recovered address space for
return to IANA, but I think that is a separate local policy issue, and
therefore deserves its own thread and eventually its own policy proposal.