[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: A Modest Proposal for an Alternate IPv6 Allocation Process

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri Jun 5 16:50:41 EDT 2009

In a message written on Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 12:55:05PM -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>   There are real,
> >serious, expensive engineering challenges moving more than a couple
> >of Gigabits per second.
>
> Right, but those challenges ALSO exist to do things like, for example,
> run Windows 7 with acceptable speed.  Heck they also exist to run Vista
> at an acceptable speed.

There is a lot less overlap in those challenges than you think.

The market for Windows 7 is probably a billion PC's.  The market
for core routers might be 10,000.  Might be 1,000.

http://www.vyatta.com/downloads/datasheets/vyatta_2500_datasheet.pdf

4Gbps of hardware based forwarding in a 1RU form factor, available
with support for under $5k.

10 years ago, when a 7513 was still a useful box, it barely did
4Gbps in a chassis that cost $500,000.  An OC-12 based backbone was
"big".  I'd say moores law has done well.

Today the standard customer handoff is a GigE, bigger than the
backbone link in a 7513's day.  A core router is expected to move
400Gbps, and that takes custom hardware and costs $2M.

Until we reach the point where consumer bandwidth growth levels,
the boxes need to get bigger at the same rate moores law makes them
cheaper, which keeps the cost constant; but the throughput keeps
going up.