[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Open Access To IPv6

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jun 3 17:51:28 EDT 2009

> Thus excluding slow-start and mergers and acquisitions we could
> still see 7.6 IPv6 prefixes per ASN if IPv6 were deployed and used to
> the extent that IPv4 is.

I'm not convinced that many of those are not the result of a
multiplicative
effect between the other factors multiplied by slow-start.

In other words, say you need some portion of your network space to be
more specific as a result of some special project.  In IPv4, you
assigned
that space to the project and if it needed to grow, likely you gave it
an
additional prefix out of newer IPv4 which was likely from a new IPv4
assignment you received under slow-start.

In IPv6, you should be able to keep that more specific to a single
prefix in most cases.

Owen