[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Open Access To IPv6

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Mon Jun 1 04:19:44 EDT 2009

> We should use the IPv4 stewardship model for IPv6,  So I want
> to the ask a more general question; "What is the right
> stewardship model for IPv6?"  Does the same model work for
> ISP/LIRs and End Users?

There is no simple answer. IPv6 Unicast /32s are somewhat
limited in supply which caused us to allow for assigning
/56s to residential users. We cannot afford to simply hand
out /32s to anyone who asks for one. It has to be limited
to those who are legitimately running a network service
which aggregates traffic from multiple /48 sites.

Removing single points of failure tends to be very important
for such aggregation services and we know that BGP multihoming
is required to do this. Therefore BGP multihoming is a strong
indicator that an organisation is actually a service provider.
But there may be other tests that could be applied if the
provider is not currently doing BGP.

--Michael Dillon