[arin-ppml] IPv4 Run Out Proposals

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Tue Jul 28 15:50:31 EDT 2009

On 28 Jul 2009 Chris Grundemann wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 09:26, Chris Grundemann<cgrundemann at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 17:37, David Farmer<farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
> >> How about something like this;
> >>
> >> IANA pool down to X /8s, triggers 9 month allocation window
> >> IANA pool down to Y /8s, triggers 6 month allocation window
> >> IANA pool down to Z /8s, triggers 3 month allocation window
> >> ARIN gets last /8, triggers maximum allocation of up to one quarter of ARIN
> >> free pool per allocation.
> >
> > Yes, this is exactly what my intention was.
> >
> >> Maybe with X=25, Y=15,  Z=10, but I need think about the numbers more.
> >
> > Some facts to help the discussion (correct me if I am wrong):
> >
> > There are currently 30 /8s Unallocated by IANA.
> > So far 4 /8s have been allocated this year.
> > In 2008 IANA allocated 9 /8s.
> > In 2007 IANA allocated 13 /8s. [1]
> >
> > There have been an average of 207 /24s requested from ARIN per month
> > this year. [2]
> > The average for 2008 was 200 /24s per month.
> > The average for 2007 was 197 /24s per month. [3]
> >
> > So if we make things simple for ourselves we could say that 10 /8s
> > will last about a year and that ARIN hands out about 10 /16s in that
> > year.  These numbers are admittedly fuzzy and of course become even
> > less absolute once we get closer to free pool exhaustion and start
> > playing with the allocations but I think they work ok for my purposes
> > here, at least for the moment.
> >

> > The original text set the policy to start limiting the allocation
> > window a year from now, I think that is reasonable and if we want to
> > stick close to that, I think X=20.
> >
> > Then, imo, we should stagger into the next two reductions,
> > incrementally shortening the time that we keep each subsequent
> > allocation window.  So perhaps Y=12 (leaving us at a 9 month window
> > for 8 /8s) and Z=6 (keeping the 6 month window for 6 /8s) and then
> > trigger the maximum allocation at 1 /8 (having maintained a 3 month
> > window for 5 /8s).
>
> I forgot to account for the End Policy; when IANA reaches 5 /8s
> unallocated, we will drop to zero.  Allowing for that, maybe a better
> set is: X=20, Y=15 and Z=10.  Or perhaps we should take less steps and
> go from a 12 month window to 6 and then to the 1/4 maximum.

How about we skip the 9 month window.  Go to 6 month
window at 20 /8s and 3 month window at 10 /8s.  I think we
need to get down to a 3 month window several months, at least
3 or 4 months, before we get down to the last /8.  As you noted
the End policy will basically take us from 6 or 7 /8s to 0.

David Farmer                                      Email:farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
Networking & Telecomunication Services
University of Minnesota		       Phone: 612-626-0815
2218 University Ave SE		       Cell: 612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029	       FAX: 612-626-1818