[arin-ppml] IPv4 Run Out Proposals

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Mon Jul 27 19:37:04 EDT 2009

On 27 Jul 2009 Chris Grundemann wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 13:31, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at ipinc.net> wrote:
> >
> > David Farmer wrote:
> >> 1. Should they be merged together and move forward as a single Draft Policy?
> >>

> > yes.
>
> +1
>
> My recommendation is that proposal 94 is merged into proposal 93,
> leaving the fairly arbitrary date based method of reduction behind in
> favor of a remaining resources based implementation (and limit it to
> IPv4 explicitly); such as "when ARIN receives its last /8, an
> organization may choose to request up to a 6 month supply of IPv4
> resources" or some more finely graduated but similarly triggered
> reduction.
>
> $0.02,
> ~Chris

I think I see what you are getting at;

How about something like this;

IANA pool down to X /8s, triggers 9 month allocation window
IANA pool down to Y /8s, triggers 6 month allocation window
IANA pool down to Z /8s, triggers 3 month allocation window
ARIN gets last /8, triggers maximum allocation of up to one quarter of ARIN
free pool per allocation.

Maybe with X=25, Y=15,  Z=10, but I need think about the numbers more.

The one advantage of setting arbitrary dates for the allocation window
changes are everyone knows when they will happen.

With something like this you won't have arbitrary dates anymore, but you
won't know exactly when the changes will hit either, and the threshold of
number of /8s left are probably somewhat arbitrary instead of the dates.

So which would people prefer?

1. Well known dates, or;
2. Triggers based on the actual resources left

I really need feed back on how people want to see this, and if you support
this kind of proposal or not.

There was a bunch of discussion on the ARIN-Discuss list last week about
recovering legacy space, it is much easier to set policy on how we are going
to divvy up what is left of the IPv4 space than it is to get anyone to give any
back.  So maybe we can put as much energy into creating policy about the
IPv4 space that is left than was put into the discussion about trying to
recover space last week.  Personally I'm much more optimistic that we can
do something about Run-Out policies than I'm about the chances to get
people to give back space.

Thanks

David Farmer                                      Email:farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
Networking & Telecomunication Services
University of Minnesota		       Phone: 612-626-0815
2218 University Ave SE		       Cell: 612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029	       FAX: 612-626-1818