[arin-ppml] Spectrum and IP address reservations / More from NERA

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Tue Jul 21 03:43:00 EDT 2009

> I'm not even sure what you're trying to imply here.
> NERA is the authority that *you* first chose to recommend,
> when (as you explained) their findings indirectly supported
> the position that you've clearly staked out in all of the
> IPv4 transfer/market/privatization debates (and perhaps

Tom,
On the NERA report, it makes some interesting points, and has some relevance to current ip address debates about reservations for "new entrants" as the free pool shrinks. And generally, I think it useful to use spectrum allocation as a pool of policy experience with relevance to ip addressing.

That's all.

I am not citing NERA as an unqualified authority; I did not say that it supported "my position" on anything; this particular report has nothing to do with the transfer market debate; the fact that you see anyone who uses economic theory as being a monolithic school of anarcho-objectivists is your problem, not mine.

I do remain genuinely shocked at the fact that you displayed ignorance of basic perfect competition theory, and that you are unaware of how people have been debating its limitations and uses for decades. That's something we can take up later.

I can' resist one OT response:

So many errors. You are really stuck in an ideological bog. I don't have time to clear it up for you on a public list, and besides, it would be boring if not downright rude to subject the rest of the list to extended talk about that when it's connection to address policy is tangential.

Mises wasn't an anarchist, and the Cato folks are more like Milton Friedman than von Mises, and neither are anarchists. You've got me misidentified, too. Ask the Misesians and anarcho-objectivists whether I am one of them. Better yet, ask Paul Vixie, a longtime devotee of Ayn Rand. If you don't understand the difference between Hayek/Popper-style empirical skepticism and von Mises/Rand deductive rationalism, it's your problem. Don't make it my problem, and above all, don't make it ARIN's. Do your homework.

Maybe it's a cultural difference, but researchers generally send papers around that are "of interest" and these actions do not imply general agreement with worldview or even the findings. If this is really a public policy list it might behoove you to get more into that culture of sharing and exchanging ideas about public policy rather than professing shock when you come up against something that differs from your own ideology and then engaging in stereotyping campaigns.