[arin-ppml] Why are ISPs allowed?

Joe Pruett joey at spiretech.com
Wed Jan 28 13:16:18 EST 2009

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009, Owen DeLong wrote:

> TiVo and Xbox will probably have IPv6 as soon as either company sees
> substantial meaningful deployment.  Same with PS/3.  TiVo is built on
> linux so IPv6 support will not require much more than some added UI
> code.  Xbox is built on a variant of Windows, which has IPv6 support
> and I doubt it will be a major issue for Micr0$0ft to bring that along.
>
> Webcams that are IP based and not host-attached will probably be
> forklift upgrades over time and will probably be part of the cost of
> decommissioning IPv4 when that time comes.  Same with x10 and
> the various VOIP adapters.  They're relatively inexpensive on a per
> unit basis.
>
> That leaves WII.  I doubt Nintendo will have that much trouble updating
> their software to accommodate IPv6 when they feel it is needed.

my list was just examples.  yes, some will get v6, quite a few things
won't.  when i get to the point that i only have v6 addresses to hand out
to customers, i need to have hardware to sell/give them that will allow
their existing network to continue to run.  your typical residential
customer isn't going to accept that some of their existing equipment won't
work with my network when "giant isp" that has managed to hoard enough v4
addresses can give them a connection where everything works fine.  so far
i am not seeing any sign of such a piece of hardware...