[arin-ppml] Why are ISPs allowed?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jan 28 12:41:29 EST 2009

On Jan 28, 2009, at 9:09 AM, Joe Pruett wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jan 2009, Wettling, Fred wrote:
>
>> It would appear that a lot of problems and potential problems would
>> evaporate if carriers & service providers would simply provide native
>> dual-stack to the prem - home & office.  Latest computer operating
>> systems
>> already have IPv6 turned on by default.  Positioning residential
>> customers
>> for the future is important.  CPE devices sold / rented by service
>> providers
>> could help the transition... like the DOCSIS 3.0-based Motorola
>> Surfboard
>
> think of all the devices inside the network that are v4 only and
> will probably
> never have v6.  tivo, xbox, wii, webcam, x10 gateway, voip adapter,
> etc.  some
> of those will eventually have a need to talk to a v6 only device.
> if we can
> fit a v6<->v4 nat system into all home gateways, then maybe we have
> a chance,
> but that is quite a bit of work for those small boxes to handle
> because of the
> need to proxy dns at the very least, and ftp, sip, etc to give the
> best
> behavior.

TiVo and Xbox will probably have IPv6 as soon as either company sees
substantial meaningful deployment.  Same with PS/3.  TiVo is built on
linux so IPv6 support will not require much more than some added UI
code.  Xbox is built on a variant of Windows, which has IPv6 support
and I doubt it will be a major issue for Micr0$0ft to bring that along.

Webcams that are IP based and not host-attached will probably be
forklift upgrades over time and will probably be part of the cost of
decommissioning IPv4 when that time comes.  Same with x10 and
the various VOIP adapters.  They're relatively inexpensive on a per
unit basis.

That leaves WII.  I doubt Nintendo will have that much trouble updating
their software to accommodate IPv6 when they feel it is needed.

Owen