[arin-ppml] Why are ISPs allowed?

Wettling, Fred Fred.Wettling at Bechtel.com
Tue Jan 27 09:51:21 EST 2009

Bechtel Internal / Non-Record//

From: arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net [mailto:arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net] On
Behalf Of Joe Pruett
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2009 10:51 PM
I'll fess up to being that partially-clued isp.  i didn't think that
multilayer nat is the right thing to do, but unless someone builds a good
v6<->v4 nat device, then multilevel nat is probably what will happen.  it
already happens nowadays and people survive (think wireless gateway behind
dsl gateway).  my research into the v6<->v4 nat state of affairs leads me to
believe that multilayer v4 nat is much better understood at this point.

It would appear that a lot of problems and potential problems would
evaporate if carriers & service providers would simply provide native
dual-stack to the prem - home & office.  Latest computer operating systems
already have IPv6 turned on by default.  Positioning residential customers
for the future is important.  CPE devices sold / rented by service providers
could help the transition... like the DOCSIS 3.0-based Motorola Surfboard
sb6120.
Regards - Fred

Bechtel Internal / Non-Record//