[arin-ppml] Why are ISPs allowed?

Joe Pruett joey at spiretech.com
Mon Jan 26 22:50:31 EST 2009

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009, Randy Bush wrote:

>  i just had a depressing private email exchange with your small and
>  partially-clued isp.  they felt that v4/v4/v4/v4 nat was the way to go
>  because it was easier for them and easier for the customer.  all i could
>  say was that 'easier' might not be considering the customer support costs.
>
>  the v6 end user experience today is not great.  vendor support is
>  mediocre, both for dual stack and for transition tools (siit/nat-pt).
>  and the global infrastructure is often tunneled and tromboned. neither
>  of these will be really fixed until there is financial pressure behind
>  them.  the market, not the mailing lists, rules.

i'll fess up to being that partially-clued isp.  i didn't think that multilayer
nat is the right thing to do, but unless someone builds a good v6<->v4 nat
device, then multilevel nat is probably what will happen.  it already happens
nowadays and people survive (think wireless gateway behind dsl gateway).  my
research into the v6<->v4 nat state of affairs leads me to believe that
multilayer v4 nat is much better understood at this point.