[arin-ppml] (curiosity) a policy which addresses which POC contacts ARIN should spam?

James Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 20:41:01 EST 2009

My suggestion would be actually, that if you automatically create tickets
upon receipt of a message,
adjust your systems so as to exclude "do-not-reply at arin.net",  to properly
direct them to a human like ARIN expects instead of creating some sort of
useless ticket in a database.

The annoyance of 'closing a ticket' is one manufactured by using unexpected
robots.
I believe POCs are meant to be the human beings responsible who can be
immediately reached, not necessarily automated systems,  for just filing a
ticket away for a while.

And I don't find it surprising in the least, that once in a blue moon, there
is an important issue that ARIN needs to notify every single contact of --
even such that they don't get to opt out really; if they are a registrant,
they have a responsibility to receive certain communications....

However, I  dothink the notice may have been wasteful and unnecessary in
this case.   The warning in January about the change to 4-byte AS numbers
was far more important.

The creation of a special announce list for POCs, for more general notices
may be a suitable solution, but once every few years on average, I would
still expect there could be an emergency notice to all POCs, depending on
the severity of the issue they all need to be aprised of immediately.

For all I know, they had thousands of registrants complaining to ARIN about
the incorrect geography search engines were giving,  asking to get a block
from a different /8  instead, or something.

In that case, sending a notice to the small number of contacts who had
manually subscribed to a mailing list would be a highly-ineffective way of
getting the notice out to the sites having issues.

--
-J