[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Protective Usage TransferPolicyforIPv4 Address

Chris Malayter cmalayter at switchanddata.com
Wed Feb 11 01:26:15 EST 2009

Hello all,

In an effort to add some clarification behind the policy proposal that
was submitted I will add the following.

There are a large number of IX's in the North American region (as well
as other regions) that have address space allocated from a provider that
specializes in exchange allocations.

According to the current ARIN policy, we are all eligible to request
space as a direct allocation from ARIN.  That is not lost on the IX's
and they do completely understand that they are eligible for a direct
allocation.

The real issue is that if the current provider was to serve a majority
of the US IX's with a cease and desist order from using the space at the
term of all of the existing contracts at the end of 2009 that would
force a massive renumber of most every IX in the North American region,
save one major IX.

The reason behind the policy proposal was to provide a method to allow
IX's 1) protection from having to renumber all of the IX's, or  2) to at
least let the IX's have enough time, before they are forced out of the
space, to have a smooth transition.

Moreover, if this happens to other "c(C)ritical i(I)nfrastructure"
corporations that happen to be in unique situations like the IX's there
would be a policy in place to offer some margin of time or protection to
the affected parties.

Speaking for myself not any company or agent.

-Chris