[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Protective Usage TransferPolicyforIPv4 Address

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Tue Feb 10 17:28:25 EST 2009

That doesen't, in my opinion, constitute a definition of
critical infrastructure providers - at least, not one that is
unambigious enough to be used as a hinge-point for a policy
change.

if the NRPM had said something like:

 "critical
 infrastructure providers of the Internet, defined as public
 exchange points, core DNS service providers (e.g.
 ICANN-sanctioned root, gTLD, and ccTLD operators) and
 the RIRs and IANA."

Because that sentence limits the definition of CIP to just what
is listed - the prior sentence basically leaves it open to
consider other critical infrastructure providers.  Which is
I am sure, what was intended by whomever crafted that statement
in the NRPM.  They wanted the term ambigious - they likely
really didn't even want a specific term, or they would have
capitalized Critical Infrastructure Providers.

> When there is already a policy making available portable IP
> space for these networks I don't see a reason to add further
> protections.

It would have helped the author's case greatly to explain
exactly WHY he wants this - what REAL LIFE example is happening
right now that would only be helped by this?  I cited one
example with the C&W withdrawl - but it's just an example only,
as that withdrawl happened a number of years ago.

What does the author want?  What is happening RIGHT NOW that
demands this policy change?

The lack of a triggering explanation I think really harms the
chance of support for the proposal.

> I will stand strongly against widening the CI definition to
> include public hosts, even "important" ones.

With the exception of the root nameservers - which ARE public
hosts - I would agree.  Since we are all supposed to be using DNS
I don't see why renumbering is a problem for any other host.

Ted