[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Protective Usage TransferPolicyforIPv4 Address

Buhrmaster, Gary gtb at slac.stanford.edu
Tue Feb 10 12:34:39 EST 2009

> I completely agree with Leo on this one..  there are policies
> in place to give space to CI, so it seems to be a no-brainer
> that they would get their own PI space and not be held hostage
> by their provider.

Just to play devils advocate.  Do you believe that all
organizations that currently believe that they are CI(*)
have actually gotten PI space (and renumbered as needed),
or had their lawyers craft the appropriate contract to
protect them?

Personally, I do not believe it.  I also believe that
a few eggs will be broken in any transfer, whether
between ISP.NET and TooMuchMoney.COM or between
two companies during an acquisition/merger.  And
life will go on, even for CriticalInfrastructure.NET.

Gary

(*) The number of the groups/organizations which consider
    themselves CI seems to growing quite rapidly, as no
    one wants to be left out (does not everyone want to
    be considered "critical", especially when such
    designations often come with potential funding?)