[arin-ppml] Abandonment of 103/104

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Dec 23 15:17:26 EST 2009

On Dec 22, 2009, at 10:16 PM, William Herrin wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 10:29 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> The PDP tasks the AC with determining if a proposal could result in good
>> policy.
>
> Yes, it does. At a much later point in the process: when the AC is
> called upon to recommend for or against adoption by the board. But
> hey, you know what's good for the community so let's take a shortcut
> and skip the part where we ask the community what it wants.

The AC is tasked with making this decision about what we accept onto our
docket as well.

While I understand your perception, I really do not feel that I substituted
my judgment for that of the community.  Again, if you feel that there is
community support to move this proposal forward and that the AC was
wrong to abandon it, I encourage you to make use of the petition process.
That's why it's there.

>> I do not know to what extent the other AC members who voted to abandon
>> these proposals have the same reasons as I do for their votes.  I am
>> speaking only for myself, and, the above accusation is probably one
>> of the reasons I am the only one who has spoken up so far about
>> my reasons.
>
> I appreciate your honesty. I hope you're wrong about the other AC
> members speaking up. No one likes taking abuse but you do sign up for
> explaining yourself when you run for election to the AC. That's part
> of the "public" in "public policy."

And I have explained myself. Whether you like my position or not, whether
you think I did the right thing or not, I will at least do my best to explain
it honestly.

Owen