[arin-ppml] Abandonment of 103/104

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Dec 23 01:16:19 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 10:29 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> The PDP tasks the AC with determining if a proposal could result in good
> policy.

Yes, it does. At a much later point in the process: when the AC is
called upon to recommend for or against adoption by the board. But
hey, you know what's good for the community so let's take a shortcut
and skip the part where we ask the community what it wants.

> I do not know to what extent the other AC members who voted to abandon
> these proposals have the same reasons as I do for their votes.  I am
> speaking only for myself, and, the above accusation is probably one
> of the reasons I am the only one who has spoken up so far about
> my reasons.

I appreciate your honesty. I hope you're wrong about the other AC
members speaking up. No one likes taking abuse but you do sign up for
explaining yourself when you run for election to the AC. That's part
of the "public" in "public policy."

> If you feel that the proposal is so well supported, the petition process
> provides a very good safety valve for exactly that purpose.
>The PDP tasks the AC with determining if a proposal could result in good
>policy.  In my judgment, this policy could not without being modified
>in ways that, to me, seemed incompatible with your rationale and
>stated intent.

Scott suggested that we first wait a week and see if anyone has
anything fresh to say on the well worn trails of brokenness in the
current IPv6 policy. I think that's a fine idea, so let's hear the
proposal as you say you would modify it, whether it matches my intent
or not.

Seriously, you've had 6 months since abandoning proposal 92 and what
you've achieved is a change from: "The AC [...] does not believe that
the problem addressed is immediate nor of sufficient scope currently"
to "the AC perceives there is significant support for major revisions
to IPv6 policy" but we don't like this one.

Lead, follow or get out of the way.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004