[arin-ppml] efficient utilization != needs basis

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Wed Dec 23 11:47:16 EST 2009

Michael Richardson wrote:
>     David> So, a question I have for you and something I'm not 100%
>     David> decided on would ULA-Central or ULA-Global be an acceptable
>     David> alternative?
>
> I was a supporter of ULA-Central, before, I thought that there was
> another proposal from Paul Vixie. I can't find it right now, so just so
> that everyone knows what is being talked about:

Vixie's proposal was ULA-Global

http://nsa.vix.com/~vixie/ula-global.txt

> http://www.ripe.net/ripe/policies/proposals/2007-05.html
> http://smakd.potaroo.net/ietf/idref/draft-ietf-ipv6-ula-central/index.html
>
> I was never clear if ULA-Central would include a whois database and
> proper delegation of reverse DNS.

So would you prefer ULA-Central or ULA-Global type solution or a
solution based on Global Unicast address space.

Personally, I'm leaning toward Global Unicast address space.

>     >> Proposal 103 gives out globally unique (but not routable) /48s to
>     >> anyone that asks, and that is enough to get these other networks
>     >> off the ground to the point where one can understand just how
>     >> much space you really do need.
>
>     David> While I agree this would be possible with PP#103, I believe
>     David> it is possible to provide these addresses without such a
>     David> massive change to IPv6 policy structure.
>
> I would welcome such a proposal, but until I see it, I'm not prepared to
> give up on 103.

I'll get it out soon.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952