[arin-ppml] efficient utilization != needs basis

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Wed Dec 23 10:59:08 EST 2009

    David> However, there are other IP technologies coming that may or
    David> may not be connected to the Internet and will possibly form
    David> other internets.  These internets will probably have other
    David> challenges and possibly form other address hierarchies
    David> independent of the Internet as we know it today. But, they
    David> will almost assuredly need globally unique addresses too.

    >> +1 (And ULA does not cut it for me)

    David> Please note I am not saying they are not routable, they are
    David> most assuredly intended to be routed within an Autonomous
    David> System or even within a small set of Autonomous Systems.
    David> But, that they are not intended to be routed across the
    David> entire hierarchically routed global Internet.  In other
    David> words, by default the normal expected behavior for a network
    David> operator is to not route these across an Autonomous System
    David> boundary without special arrangements.

I agree with what you said. When I said "not routable", I mean what you
said.

    David> So, a question I have for you and something I'm not 100%
    David> decided on would ULA-Central or ULA-Global be an acceptable
    David> alternative?

I was a supporter of ULA-Central, before, I thought that there was
another proposal from Paul Vixie. I can't find it right now, so just so
that everyone knows what is being talked about:

http://www.ripe.net/ripe/policies/proposals/2007-05.html
http://smakd.potaroo.net/ietf/idref/draft-ietf-ipv6-ula-central/index.html

I was never clear if ULA-Central would include a whois database and
proper delegation of reverse DNS.

    >> Proposal 103 gives out globally unique (but not routable) /48s to
    >> anyone that asks, and that is enough to get these other networks
    >> off the ground to the point where one can understand just how
    >> much space you really do need.

    David> While I agree this would be possible with PP#103, I believe
    David> it is possible to provide these addresses without such a
    David> massive change to IPv6 policy structure.

I would welcome such a proposal, but until I see it, I'm not prepared to
give up on 103.

] mcr at sandelman.ottawa.on.ca http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
	               then sign the petition.